Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Truth in Engineering


Three weeks to the day after Jacob's red light incident, I finally bought a car. This is what it looked like ten years ago. I swore I'd never have another black car because they're so hard to keep looking clean, but it was cheap and I was desperate. I saw the ad on craigslist Wednesday after work for an A6 for $2,500, so I immediately emailed the guy (stereotypical Southside Italian realtor who can't spell or use proper grammar. "Cadillac converter..."). He replied back that he couldn't meet Wednesday, but we made plans to meet last night. Went to the bank over lunch and got the cash. Five other people showed interest after I did, so he added the following paragraph to his posting without letting me know, "I have gotten a lot of interest in this car for obvious reasons. I am meeting with six people this evening and to be fair I will let all interested parties view the car tonigh and put their bid on as well as their contact info on a sheet of paper. I will contact the hihgest bidder later this evening so we can finalize the purchase. Let me know if you'd like to be one of the parties that see it this evening."

I knew nothing about this until one of the fun ladies at work pulled up the ad to see what car I was talking about. I called him immediately at 2:30 to find out where to meet him at our 3:30 appointment and then proceeded to have a Jimmerson fit (as Sara Brown would call it) and gave him what for about his shady way of doing business. Long story short, he called me back a half hour later and said he would cancel the auction and sell to me for $3,500. Jacob picked me up at work at 3:15, I ran into the bank for more cash, we test drove it, and bought it by 4:00. It runs just a little rough sometimes, but I think a sensor is just not telling the computer the right story. It also needs a new CV joint and catalytic converter, and the driver's window won't roll down, but it's fine for getting around town for awhile. It has new tires, fuel pump, serpentine belt, timing belt, and battery. Even if I have to put a few thousand into it, it's still worth more than I will have invested. Oh, and it's black with black leather interior with a bi-turbo V6. Vroom vroom!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home