Wednesday, March 02, 2011

Beebo Brinker Chronicles

At my friend Todd's urging, I stopped in to the Stoner theater Sunday afternoon to see the final performance of The Beebo Brinker Chronicles. He did his usual fine job as Jack, and Makha Mthembu cracked me up in every scene as Marcie. My favorite line: "Stick out your tongue; I want to feel 12 again!"

Based on the groundbreaking, award-winning pulp novels of the 50s and 60s, The Beebo Brinker Chronicles follows the lives and loves of friends in pre-Stonewall Greenwich Village. Beth and Laura, secret lovers in college, still pine for each other. Before they can reunite, they find themselves entangled in a web spun by Beebo Brinker, a butch denizen of the underground bar scene. The play, originally produced by Lily Tomlin and Jane Wagner, celebrates the era when “the love that dares not speak its name” began breaking the old rules.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home