Friday, November 05, 2010

TRHS Does Rent 2010



The Brown and I attended a very satisfying production of Rent at Roosevelt high school last night.
I have seen the touring production of “Rent” more than a dozen times (I’ve lost count), and went to the movie three times on opening day. My love for the play may mean my opinion is a bit unbiased. That said, I would never rave about a production I found disappointing.

My slightly lowered expectations of a high school presentation were blown out of the water from scene one through to the end. Jordan as Mark was wonderful throughout, particularly during the touching “Halloween.” I’ve seen Roger played both more sad than angry, and more angry than sad. Wes struck a nice balance between the two. I prefer Roger angry; it seems more real to me. I loved the “I’m Roger” moment. Kamillah as Mimi showed great emotion and gave the audience many touching moments.

I have seen professional productions that would have been improved with Wes or Kamillah on their stage. I’ve also seen Maureens that didn’t seem to get that “Over the Moon” is supposed to be funny. Ivy took the audience right where it needed to go. Sharane was terrific as Joanne. “Tango Maureen” and “Take Me or Leave Me” highlighted her great talent. Ricky’s acting seemed so natural and he made the affection between Collins and Angel real for the audience. The “I’ll Cover You” reprise never fails to tear me apart.

For me, Angel is the core of “Rent.” Not because of the flamboyance and energy, but because Jonathan Larson makes it clear that Angel is who we should all aspire to be like. Kind of the messiah of the play, showing everyone else the right way. Ironic that it takes a drag queen to show men and women how to be men and women. Kevin played Angel with great aplomb and immediately held the audience in his hands. Intrepid. Austin as Benny was, quite simply, perfect. Great voice, great stage presence. The ensemble brought humor and emotion to the production. The voicemails were great. I don’t know why, but “Kitten Wherever Are You?” always cracks me up. One of my litmus tests for a production is if “Will I” brings a tear to my eye and I can definitely say your production passed that test with flying colors. The full cast and ensemble number at the end was a religious experience and the audience could see and feel everyone’s emotions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home